There is an obligation to ensure structures are entirely safe and sound. Whether the application is onshore/offshore, a bridge or even nuclear, each requires specialist knowledge, skill and the right tools.
AVT Reliability has configured many temporary and permanent monitoring systems on static structures both onshore and offshore. These typically involve the measurement and analysis of dynamic strains, loads, vibrations and displacements, pressures and temperatures.
Constant monitoring of structures ensures the integrity and future safety of them whilst being able to take mitigating steps; on different elements of a building, tower, bridge or structure in offshore and onshore applications. Our capabilities include the on-site measurement of real data relating to the behaviour of structures under ambient and in-service loadings, and the subsequent analysis and assessment of measured data that you can trust.
Structurual Integrity Monitoring can be applied in key applications such as:
- Problem Solving - Assess known problems and make recommendations for corrective actions.
- Assurance - Proving that a structure is fit for purpose and that no problem exists.
- Product Development - Design help designers to optimise the product design through a better understanding of structural behaviour.
- Design Validation - To prove that the actual structure behaves as expected under design load conditions.
- Long Term Structural Integrity Monitoring - To detect and provide early warning of long-term changes in the condition of a structure.
Implementing a structural integrity monitoring solution into your process can help you gain a rapid understanding and assessment of complex structural responses and increase your knowledge of actual in-service loading conditions. You will have a reduced uncertainty in structural response predictions through measured validation data, as well as accurate fatigue-life estimates based on actual stress measurements and proven fatigue endurance data.
- On-site strain gauging
- Data acquisition
- Operating Deflection Shape Analysis (ODS)
- Automated monitoring systems
- Finite Element Analysis
- Fatigue assessments
- Crack & Tilt Monitoring
Tools & instrumentation
AVT has a large stock of modern instrumentation and can configure monitoring systems using a wide variety of sensor types, including:
- Strain Gauges
- Displacement Sensors
- Tilt Sensors
- Load Cells
- Temperature Sensors
- Acoustic Emission (AE) Sensors
- Pressure Sensors
- Wind Speed and Direction Sensors
- Solar Radiation Sensors
- Ultrasonic Level Sensor
Project time scales vary enormously, depending upon the client's requirements, ranging from:
Short Term - Where AVT engineers use temporary instrumentation to collect structural data over a period of seconds, minutes, or hours e.g. one-off test.
Medium Term - Where AVT engineers will configure a temporary multi-channel data logging system to operate unattended collecting data over a period of days, weeks, or months e.g. where structural behaviour may vary with weather conditions, process conditions, or traffic conditions.
Long Term - Where AVT engineers install and commission a permanent multi-channel data logging system to operate unattended collecting data over a period of years, with options for real time displays, remote data retrieval etc, e.g. off-shore platform structural integrity monitoring system.